Conservative Talking Points thinks welfare should be a temporary hand up rather than a permanent state of dependency. Nothing can destroy a man's will faster than making him a dependent of the state. Liberals, either naively or purposely, end up destroying independence with massive subsistence in turn for power.
Poverty Worse Since Obama
· It is being projected that by 2013 the U.S. poverty rate will be the highest that it has been in almost 50 years. (Source: Huffington Post - July 2012)
· In 2012 there are now around 100 million Americans that are considered to be either “poor” or “near poor”. (Source: SHTFplan.com – July 2012)
· 49% of all Americans live in a home where at least one person receives money from the government. Back in 1983 it was below 30%. (Source: Wall Street Journal – May 2012)
· The poverty rate for all persons in the US forty years ago in 1969 was 12.1%. That rate has fluctuated a few percentage points over the past four decades but as of 2008 it is still around 12%, even after we have spent trillions of taxpayer dollars on welfare since 1969. (Source: US Census - 2009)
· Of the top 10 American cities with the highest poverty rates 7 of them have NOT had a Republican mayor from 1965 - 2008. (Source: US Census - Jan 2009)
Destruction of the Black Family
· In 1940 the illegitimacy rate among blacks was about 15%. Today in 2009 the illegitimacy rate hovers around 70%. "It began in the 1960s with the War on Poverty and the harebrained ideas of the welfare state." (Source: Walter Williams, Economist - Aug 2009)
· After the Republican Congress took Welfare Reform to President Clinton three times until he passed it in 1996, over the next eight years the welfare caseload declined by 60%. (Source: Brookings - Mar 2006)
· A year before President Clinton signed Welfare Reform in 1996 he said, "Welfare reform should not punish people because they happen to be poor." (Source: USA Today - Jan 1995)
· The government's Cash for Clunkers program lasted for one month, used $3B in taxpayer money to help buy over 700,000 cars for people and crippled car dealership cash flows by taking weeks to reimburse them. (Source: CNN - Aug 2009)
· In August of 2009 the Obama administration saw to it that an extra $200 per child was deposited in welfare recipients' accounts to buy school supplies. Many abuses of that hand out were reported where people were buying alcohol and cigarettes. (Source: WSYR Syracuse - Aug 2009)
American Poor (Source: Heritage Foundation - Jan 2005)
· 45% of poor households own their own homes.
· 75% of poor households own a car and 30% own more than one car.
· 76% of poor households have air conditioning.
· 78% of poor households have DVR or VCR players and 62% have cable or satellite TV.
· 73% of poor households have microwave ovens.
· 97% of poor households have color television.