Conservative Talking Points looks up to President Ronald Reagan as our modern day founder and fighter for conservatism. His logic, his humor and his tenacity helped free the world from the USSR's iron curtain and create a conservative renaissance.
· On Reagan's watch the economic misery index dropped to only 10.1 from Carter's horrific 17.9. (Source: Washington Times - Jun 2004)
· After inheriting from the disastrous Carter administration an inflation rate of 12%, an unemployment rate of 11%, and a prime interest rate of 21%, President Reagan implemented Reaganomics which included tax cuts, tax reform and a reduction in welfare, which reduced all three entities during his presidency. (Source: Ronald Reagan: How an ordinary man became an extraordinary leader - Dinesh D'Souza)
· Reagan deregulated the transportation (including the airline) industry and broke the air traffic controllers union which tried to hold our air transportation system hostage. (Source: LA Times - Mar 1986)
· His administration created 17 million new jobs during his term. (Source: Washington Times - Jun 2004)
· President Ronald Reagan won the cold war by bringing down the Soviet Union through intimidation, forcing them to over spend on their military. (Source: Slate - Jun 2004)
· The Gipper cut the income tax rates from 70% to 28% which made the economy boom and federal government tax revenues actually increase. (Source: Cato Institute - Jun 2004)
Conservative Quotes From The "Gipper'
· "Some of you may remember that in my early days, I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish ways."
· "It isn't that liberals are ignorant. They just know so much that isn't so."
· "What I'd really like to do is go down in history as the President who made Americans believe in themselves again."
· "America is too great for small dreams."
· "A people free to choose will always choose peace."
· "Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty."
· "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same."
· "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
· "We should measure welfare's success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added."
· "Without God, democracy will not and cannot long endure."
· "We have the duty to protect the life of an unborn child."
· "We can not play innocent abroad in a world that is not innocent."
· "There are no easy answers but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right."
· "The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."